This Week by Principal Amy Alzina
Adams School Partners with SB City College
Adams School and Santa Barbara City College share a unique program that brings SBCC students (that are on track to become teachers) to Adams School for 16 weeks! The partnership allows the SBCC students to work in classrooms assisting students with their learning. Adams School was selected as the partner school due to the high number of special programs we offer, the diversity of our student body, and the professional teaching staff that serve to mentor the SBCC students.
The SBCC students work at Adams two-times per week (Tues/ Thurs) for two-hours. They assist classroom teachers by running small groups that support reading, writing, and math instruction as well as supporting students as they participate in the school-wide Accelerated Reading (AR) program.
Santa Barbara City College and Adams School have been in this partnership now for over three years. Twelve of our classrooms are currently benefiting from the community partnership. We are extremely happy to be the school that has been selected to share in this effort.
SBCC students have been placed in the following classes for the Spring 2015 term so look for them if you are on campus.
- Teacher: Mr. Ojeda, Student Teacher: Sam Pendergast Teacher: Mrs. McKee, Student Teacher: Michaela Stanton
- Teacher: Mrs. Ayala, Student Teacher: Samantha Patcher
- Teacher: Mrs. Brown, Student Teacher: Jordan Tymon
- Teacher: Mrs. Schaupeter, Student Teacher: Jessica Hernandez
- Teacher: Mrs. Harris, Student Teacher: Carly Wiegman
- Teacher: Ms. Trainor, Student Teacher: Tania Morales
- Teacher: Mr. Fedberbursh, Student Teacher: Chris Luft
- Teacher: Mr. Cooper, Student Teacher: Norah MacCuish
- Teacher: Mrs. Kuehn, Student Teacher: Genesis Peralta
- Teacher: Mrs. Gallagher, Student Teacher: Alexa Nydanv Teacher: Ms. Barr, Student Teacher: Santos Espinosa
We are so happy to be working with SBCC professor and retired teacher, Layne Wheeler, on this partnership as it is a great opportunity for our students to see SBCC and its students as an accessible path for their future college needs.
Jonathan Monroy Garcia Breaks the School Record
Congratulations to Jonathan who broke the school record in the one-mile run last Monday morning. Jonathan ran a 6:36 mile! Way to go!
Spelling Bee Champions
Congratulations to Nicola Parker and Evan Mirbod for representing Adams School at the County Spelling Bee!
Our Wellness Chairperson, Jennifer Hale, is coordinating a Bike Blender Day during the morning recess on Friday, February 27th. Please let Ernestina know if you are available to help with the event.
Pajama Day and Read-In Day
Adams students will be celebrating Read Across America Day on Monday, March 2nd with reading activities in the classroom. All students and staff are encouraged to show their school spirit by wearing their pajama’s to school.
Read-A-Thon Fundraiser: Monday March 2 - Friday March 13
The Adams Read-a-thon is one of three major fundraisers we hold at Adams. This is a great fundraiser for friends and family that live far away – and of course I love it because it involves reading! Ask your friends, family, and neighbors to pledge money for each minute your child reads or make a single donation.
Prizes: There will be a winner in every class!
- Top Earner school-wide wins 4 Park Hopper Tickets to Disneyland/California Adventure
- Any student who earns $100 or more will attend a Cloud 10 Jump Party during school hours
- Top Reader in each classroom (K-6) wins a $20 Chaucer’s Gift Card.
Artists wanted! School wide art competition for the cover of the 2014-15 Adams yearbook. All entrants must be an Adams student. The theme is "the tiger". All entries must be turned into the office by March 18, 2015. The winner will be announced on April 6th and will be featured on the cover of the yearbook.
Calendar of Events:
2nd - Pajama Day, Read Across America, Dr. Seuss Birthday
2nd - 13 - Read-a-thon
3rd - Pricipals Coffee, 8:30am
6th - Parents Night Out
13th - ELAC Meeting
13th - 12pm Release, Minimun Day
16th - 20th - Conference Week 12:10 release (1-6 only)
18th - Read-a-thon pledges due
18th - Tiger Parent Meeting (PTA) 6:30 - 7:30
20th – Read-a-thon winners announced
30th - April 3 - Spring Break
Adams School Principal